History of Makalani
Founded in 2005, Makalani is a multi-disciplined investment manager focused exclusively on investment research and portfolio management. The firm operates independently and is wholly owned by its partners – all of whom work within the firm.
At inception, the firm focused on the management of an unlisted, alternative investment funds, with other strategies selectively added as like-minded and accomplished talent were identified to meet broad market themes.
Our investment management teams have operated over many market cycles, across traditional and alternative asset classes, both domestically and internationally, and remain focused on investment performance and value-added services for our clients.
We seek to invest and manage based on a core set of principles:
- We adopt a flexible investment approach designed for the reality of ever changing markets
- We always focus on risk management and capital preservation
- We continuously search for accomplished and innovative investment talent
- We are committed to engaging our clients with innovative ideas that support their long-term success
- We emphasize quality across every aspect of our business including client service, administration and corporate governance
- We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards and operating principles
- We ensure a strong alignment of interest with our clients by investing in the funds we manage
- We spend a significant amount of time thinking about limits, in terms of our business areas, and only focus on those markets and strategies where we believe we have the resources to underpin such a commitment to sustained value.
Independent and owner managed
The growth of the investment manager has been organic, with no mergers or acquisitions, and we are committed to remaining independent.
Our partnership is rare among investment management firms (with no external shareholders demanding short term gains) and creates an advantage in that our teams can focus solely on seeking out long-term investment returns for our clients. This structure also creates organizational stability which allows us to recruit and retain some of the best people in the industry. The partnership also encourages personal responsibility, creates a culture of questioning and debate, and respectful trust.
Makalani is a 100% black owned and managed firm, and is committed towards transformation of the South African financial services landscape.
Makalani conforms to the Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment legislation and relevant charters. The firm is a Level 1 Contributor in terms of our contribution to Black Economic Empowerment. Our verification certificate and details of our accreditation are available on request.
In line with the Employment Equity Act, we promote equal opportunities and fair treatment in employment, and do not practice any discrimination.
Our clients include institutional investors such as insurance companies, government and corporate pension funds, banks, trade unions and family offices.
We also have extensive experience of working with global investment consulting firms.